Providing an opportunity to maximise the space and light of an opening, bifold doors can be a fabulous addition to any property. Not only do aluminium bifold doors provide a strong, extremely durable and flexible […]
If you’ve never had bi-fold doors installed in your property, then it is understandable not to be sure which way they open.
Of course, bi-fold doors are well-known to be incredibly space-saving and can be made with various configurations.
Because there are numerous ways in which bi-fold doors work, they can open both inwards and outwards.
Bifold or Sliding Doors?
Often, because homeowners can’t be sure if bi-fold doors can be opened inwards, they’ll opt for sliding doors as a failsafe option; confident that sliding doors will achieve the purpose in mind.
However, don’t make a panic decision into purchasing sliding doors! If you’ve got your heart set on inward opening bifold doors, these can be provided by various bi-fold door manufacturers, including Bi-fold Doors UK.
Customize your bifold door opening
The first decision to make when you opt for installing bi-fold doors in the home is indeed whether you would like the doors to open inwards or outwards.
While inward opening bifold doors are a possibility, the most popular choice is to opt for bifold doors to open outwards.
A few issues that can arise with inward opening bi-fold doors:
- Inward opening bi-fold doors take up space in the room when they are folded open.
- If the doors are wet, they can drip water onto your interior flooring.
- Inward opening bi-fold doors require an additional pull handle, that is not needed for external-opening bi-fold doors.
- Internal opening bifold doors can be more prone to leaking at the bottom.
What to consider when putting together your bi-fold or sliding door plan
Before purchasing your bi-fold or sliding doors and having them installed, it is helpful to put together a bi-fold door plan or sliding door plan for which you should consider the following:
- What material would you like your doors to be? We have aluminium, hardwood and timber options available. Other budget companies have UPVC bi-fold and sliding doors available.
- What size do your doors need to be? Make sure you measure your door opening in suitable detail.
- How many panels would you like? Generally, the more panels you have, the more expensive your doors will be.
- What level of security do you require? If you’re having doors installed within the interior of your home, you may not require a hugely high level of security. Obviously, if your doors are being used as a back door or patio door, you’ll want increased security features.
- What is your budget? You budget will, of course, affect the type of door you can purchase.
- Do you need your doors to be professionally installed? Are you going to install the doors yourself or do you require a professional installer to fit them for you?
When may inward opening bi-fold doors be necessary?
Inward opening bifold doors may be beneficial where you have a small garden space or outward opening bi-fold doors may block the path.
Bi-fold Doors from Bifold Doors UK
We have various bi-fold doors, patio doors, back doors and more available from Bifold Doors UK. All available to fit perfectly in your home.